Benefits for people over the state pension age

Find out what benefits you could claim if you are getting your state pension. 

State Pension

The new State Pension is a regular payment you can claim if you reach state pension age on or after 6 April 2016. You will not get the pension automatically, you need to claim it. You should get a letter no later than two months before you reach state pension age telling you what to do.

You can apply for your state pension online

Cost of living payments

In England, Scotland, and Wales the government is offering payments to help with the cost of living crisis. You could get:

  • £300 for pensioner households, to be paid during winter 2023 to 2024
  • an extra £150 if you are on an eligible disability benefit, to be paid during summer 2023

These payments will not affect the benefits or tax credits you get. The government has the most up to date guidance about cost of living payments

Find out more about cost of living payments in Northern Ireland

Attendance Allowance (AA)

Attendance Allowance (AA) is a benefit paid to people over the state pension age who have personal care needs.

You should apply for AA if you have a disability or illness and need help with your personal care. For example, you might need help with: 

  • eating
  • drinking
  • washing
  • getting dressed
  • going to the toilet
  • getting in and out of bed. 

AA is paid at either a higher or lower rate, depending on your level of need. You must have had care needs for at least six months. There is no mobility payment with AA and any mobility difficulties outside the home are not taken into account.

The government has more information about AA.

Citizens Advice can help you with your AA application

Pension Credit

If you’re over the state pension age and on a low income, you may be able to get Pension Credit to help with living costs.

Find out more about Pension Credit in England, Scotland, and Wales.

Find out more about Pension Credit in Northern Ireland.

Winter Fuel payments

A Winter Fuel payment is a tax-free payment for people born on or before 25 September 1956 to help pay heating costs.

It is usually paid automatically every year between November and December. If you are eligible but have not received this automatically, you can make a claim.

Winter fuel payments do not depend on how cold the weather gets.

Blue badge scheme

A blue badge helps you or your carer to park closer to where you’re going. If you get certain benefits, you’re automatically eligible.

You can also apply if you have long-term problems with walking or problems with walking that your doctor says will last at least a year. You’ll have to fill in an extra section of the form and may need an assessment by your local council.

Find out how to apply for a blue badge in England, Scotland and Wales.

Find out how to apply for a blue badge in Northern Ireland.

You can read about other transport schemes on our financial support page

Get support

Call our Helpline for support with your condition. Get advice on your medicines, symptoms or travelling with a lung condition, or just call us to say hello.

Page last reviewed
Next review due
Did you find this information useful?

We use your comments to improve our information. We cannot reply to comments left on this form. If you have health concerns or need clinical advice, call our helpline on 0300 222 5800 between 9am and 5pm on a weekday or email them.

Page last reviewed:
Next review due: